Saturday, April 17, 2004

Hwange

Formerly  Wankie,   town, western Zimbabwe. It was founded about 1900 after the discovery of coal in the vicinity and was named for a local chief, Whanga, who was the dynastic head of the Abananza people. By 1908 a brickyard was established, utilizing local clays, and the production of coke began in 1913. The town is located on road and rail lines to Bulawayo and Zambia, and the coal-mining industry remains

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home